Mater Christi Parish is a close cousin to the two other parishes it was joined with, St. Mary and St. Hugh. Our relationship is not only geographically, but because of our history. Both grew from the community that first gathered at St. Mary church in Lyons. It was in 1949 that Father Timothy Lyne, then associate pastor at St. Mary, conducted a survey of the Catholics in North Riverside. Father William Murphy, pastor of St. Mary, petitioned the Chancery to begin St. Mary’s Mission of North Riverside. The priests, Father Murphy, Father Lyne, Father Shirey, and Father Wisniewski served the Mission of North Riverside and St. Mary.
Cardinal Stritch dedicated Mater Christi church on June 28, 1953. Father A. H. Menarik became the first pastor. Mater Christi was now a canonically established of the Archdiocese. The lovely statue of Mary which has graced the entrance to the church throughout its history still watches over the people of this faith community.
On Mother’s Day 1956, the magnificent Italian sculpted Carrara marble Mother of Mothers Shrine at Mater Christi was dedicated. The statue depicts Mary, Mother of God, and the Christ Child gazing lovingly at a modern-day woman and child. The shrine has drawn visitors from around the globe to pray to Mater Christi, Mother of Mothers.