St. Hugh has been more than a place to worship, it has been the center of the community. Although the parish was not organized officially until 1925, its Catholic legacy actually dates to 1875. Men from nearby communities constructed the wood-frame St. Mary's Church in Lyons to serve the families of Lyons, Clyde, and Summit. Parishioners worshiped there until 1899, when a new St. Mary's Church was built in Riverside. From 1901-1921, Lyons Catholics had to shuttle to Riverside to worship. They decided to build a church of their own in 1921.
Rev. John B. Murphy was sent to organize St. Hugh Parish. The new pastor celebrated Sunday Mass in the former Lyons movie theater and the school held classes in the rectory while the parish raised the money to finish the combined church and school.
The church cornerstone was laid in September 1925, and the first Mass was celebrated in the unfinished church on Christmas Day 1925. Cardinal Mundelein dedicated the Church of St. Hugh in 1925. Keating Hall was built to the east of the church in the late 1950s, and new classrooms were attached to it. Later, a gym was built. St. Hugh School served the parish family and community for 75 years before closing in 2001.